Thursday, July 19, 2012

Baby Food - Plums

Here's a play by play of my fist experience of making plum baby food.  I only made a little because Farrah has not been introduced to plums yet.  I would hate to have a freezer full and find out she hates it!  Plums were on sale, so I decided to give it a try.

What do you need?
  • A pot with a lid
  • A blender/food processor of some type.  I use a Baby Bullet.
  • Containers for storage.  I used ice cube trays to freeze, then I pop them out and store in a freezer bag.
Ingredients:  Plums and water.

Step 1:  Wash the plums and cut an X in to one side of each plum.  This makes it easy to remove the skin after cooking.

Step 2:  Place the plums in a pot with about 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.  Make sure the X is submerged in the water.  Let boil gently for about 5 minutes.
Step 3:  Run cold water over the plums or submerge in ice water.  Then, remove the skins and seeds.
Step 4:  Place the plums in your blender (I tore them in to small chunks) with a little water (I started with about 1/2 tbsp).  Blend, adding water as needed, until you reach your desired consistency.
Step 5:  Pour your plum puree in the container of your choice and freeze or refrigerate if you plan on using within a couple of days. 


Didn't it turn out beautiful!  I did learn a few things during this process.  Plums are messy!  My cutting board and I were a mess after removing the skins and the seeds.  I may try baking them next time as suggested on this site.  Maybe it would not be as messy if I only had the skin to remove and not the seed! 

I used 5 small plums.  That yielded about  a little less that 1 cup of puree which is about 2 - 3 Gerber 2nds sized servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment